ishyface: (Default)
[personal profile] ishyface
Last night, while I lay thinking here,
some Whatifs crawled inside my ear
and pranced and partied all night long
and sang their same old Whatif song:
Whatif I'm dumb in school?
Whatif they've closed the swimming pool?
Whatif I get beat up?
Whatif there's poison in my cup?
Whatif I start to cry?
Whatif I get sick and die?
Whatif I flunk that test?
Whatif green hair grows on my chest?
Whatif nobody likes me?
Whatif a bolt of lightning strikes me?
Whatif I don't grow taller?
Whatif my head starts getting smaller?
Whatif the fish won't bite?
Whatif the wind tears up my kite?
Whatif they start a war?
Whatif my parents get divorced?
Whatif the bus is late?
Whatif my teeth don't grow in straight?
Whatif I tear my pants?
Whatif I never learn to dance?
Everything seems well, and then
the nighttime Whatifs strike again!

- "Whatif," by Shel Silverstein

on 2009-12-12 03:55 am (UTC)
Posted by [identity profile] affably.livejournal.com
I share most of these concerns, especially the one about green chest hair. Seriously though, A+ poem.

on 2009-12-12 03:56 am (UTC)
ext_30531: (Default)
Posted by [identity profile] iamsupernova.livejournal.com
I love him. I used to fall asleep listening to him read Where The Sidewalk Ends on tape when I was little.
Edited on 2009-12-12 03:56 am (UTC)

on 2009-12-12 02:18 pm (UTC)
Posted by [identity profile] erda-3.livejournal.com
I especially worry about that green hair thing a lot. It's so good to know it's not just me!

on 2009-12-12 02:57 pm (UTC)
ext_58859: (Default)
Posted by [identity profile] xcarex.livejournal.com
I was always more into Jack Prelutsky than Silverstein. I feel like a weirdo.

on 2009-12-13 04:16 am (UTC)
Posted by [identity profile] uncommon-crow.livejournal.com
I'll make you a new kite if the wind tears yours up, Gee. Would you like a whale-shaped one? I found a pattern for such a thing this summer...

Most Popular Tags

Page generated Oct. 20th, 2026 01:04 am
Powered by Dreamwidth Studios